Did you know that October 4 is National Taco Day? Yep, an entire food holiday dedicated to celebrating one of the most versatile and staple comfort foods in America. And what better to celebrate than to eat as many delicioso tacos as possible?
To make it easier for you, here’s a roundup of some of the best and healthiest taco recipes to get cooking for National Taco Day:
- Slow Cooker Beef Carnita Tacos: Spicy beef and creamy feta cheese beautifully combine with the citrusy tang of avocado lime dressing and fresh cilantro in this mouthwatering gluten-free recipe. Pair it with a light cucumber salad and apple cider margarita for a scrumptious repast. Here’s the full recipe.
- Orange Glazed Tempeh Tacos: If you’re looking for a fun, vegan-friendly taco recipe, look no further than this luscious fusion of traditional Asian and Mexican flavors. Every bite of this rich and fragrant dish is bursting with hearty flavor thanks to ingredients like ginger, lime, Chinese 5 spice and orange marmalade. Without further ado, here’s the full recipe. You might also want to check out these drool-worthy recipes for Vegan Chipotle Lentil Tacos and Vegan Teriyaki Cauliflower Tacos.
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Garlic Cilantro Lime Slaw: Stuffed with spicy shrimp nestled between cabbage slaw, avocado and creamy lime sauce, these delightfully flavorful tacos will satisfy all your comfort food cravings while giving you a protein boost. Here’s the delish recipe. You might also like these protein-packed recipes for Jerk Chicken and Simple Vinaigrette Slaw Tacos and Slow Cooker Cuban Pulled Pork Tacos.
- Asada Mushroom Tacos with Lime Smashed Avocado: Buttery avocado together with fresh and bright pineapple salsa beautifully complement the smoky Chipotle-marinated Portobello mushrooms in this drool-worthy recipe. I also like to toss in diced red onion, fresh cilantro and crumbled goat cheese for added texture and flavor. Get the original recipe here.
- Sriracha Shredded Chicken Tacos: Spruce up your dinner routine with this wholesome chicken taco recipe that packs the spicy goodness of Sriracha. I like to add shredded cheese, fresh parsley and smashed avocado to the recipe to pack in more flavor and nutrients. Get the original recipe here. This recipe for Healthy Chicken Fajita Tacos is also highly recommended.
- Blue Corn Breakfast Tacos: Loaded with smoky salmon, fluffy scrambled eggs and creamy avocado and dill, this scrumptious breakfast taco recipe is a perfect option to kick start the day on a healthy (and delicious) note. Moreover, it takes less than 20 minutes to put everything together so you can whip it up even on weekdays. Check out the easy-to-make recipe here.
- Seared Salmon Tacos with Avocado Crema: This easy-to-make recipe is a heart-healthy twist on traditional fish tacos thanks to omega 3 fatty acids-rich salmon and avocadoes which are loaded with monounsaturated fats. You can serve these tacos with a juicy homemade salsa dip like this bold and citrusy Mandarin Salsa for an extra kick of flavor. Get the delish taco recipe here. If you’re a fan of fish tacos like me, you might also want to check out these recipes for Grilled Fish Tacos with Lightened-up Chipotle Baja Sauce and Baked Mahi Mahi Tacos.
- Saucy Portobello and Butternut Squash Tacos: Smoky Adobo sauce, sautéed Portobello mushrooms and roasted butternut squash make this vegetarian taco recipe as delicious as it’s healthy. You can also add black beans and Greek yogurt for an extra boost of protein. Get the full recipe here. I also highly recommend this recipe for Butternut Squash, Kale and Crunchy Pepitas Tacos.
- Southwestern Lentil Tacos: This delish, gluten-free taco recipe is chock full of both plant protein and fiber. Plus, it takes barely 30 minutes to put together. What’s not to like? Get the recipe here. Besides the ingredients listed in the original recipe, I like to add shredded lettuce, cherry tomatoes and homemade guacamole to the stuffing for an extra boost of flavor and nutrition. You might also want to try this recipe for Quinoa Black Bean Tacos.
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Honey and Lime: If you’re looking for a taco recipe that’s both creative and easy-to-make, look no further than this vegetarian taco recipe. Though it uses sweet potatoes and yellow onions as main ingredients, you can toss in other veggies of your choice to make it more filling and flavorful. Here’s the simple recipe.