5 foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids you must add to your diet for a healthy heart  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- All nutrients that we receive from the food are important for the efficient functioning of the body
- One such nutrient is the Omega-3 fatty acids
- Here are 5 vegetarian and non-vegetarian sources of Omega-3 fatty acids that should be made a regular part of your diet
New Delhi: We often hear or just assume that fat is not good for us, and should not be consumed in any shape or form. While unhealthy fats, those from processed foods and other sources can cause damage to your body and increase your risk of diseases, there is one type of fat you should not cut back on – Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are present in both non-vegetarian and plant-based sources of food and have some big health benefits.
Omega-3 fatty acids are super healthy for the heart and can help reduce triglycerides levels. They can help reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes. At the same time, omega-3 fatty acids are also healthy for the brain. They can help in disorders like ADHD and depression, and can also reduce the risk of brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease. Omega-3 fatty acids are also recommended to reduce the risk of respiratory problems, such as asthma. If you want to include omega-3 fatty acids in your diet, here are 5 foods that should definitely make it to your plate on a regular basis.
5 foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids you must add to your diet
- Fish – Fatty fish is considered one of the most abundant sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Present in fish like the salmon, sardines, and shellfish like the oysters, fishes are considered a very healthy food for the heart, because of the rich presence of the nutrient in them.
- Seaweed and algae – Vegetarian sources of the nutrient also have a sea-link. Seaweed and algae, the kind that is edible, are rich sources of the nutrient. Though difficult to find, they should be included in your diet if and when you can.
- Chia seeds – A very versatile, easily available, and vegetarian source of omega-3 fatty acids are chia seeds. Chia seeds can be added to smoothies, salads, and desserts, and consumed for a healthy diet that can aid weight loss and keep the heart healthy.
- Walnuts – Walnuts are commonly consumed all around the world in many ways. Walnuts are also a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. Walnuts can be eaten for a healthy snack during the day, or in the evening.
- Kidney beans – Kidney beans, popularly known as Rajma in India are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. Rajma should be consumed regularly in salads, wraps, or even as a light curry to ensure you give your body the right amount of the healthy nutrient.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.
Get the Latest health news, healthy diet, weight loss, Yoga, and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now