Turmeric tea is a warm and soothing blend of ground turmeric, lemon juice, and honey. It provides good-for-you anti-inflammatory compounds that provide a range of health benefits. And it just tastes good!
No matter the season, it always makes sense to wrap your hands around a warm cup of turmeric tea. Similar to golden milk, it’s comforting and soothing, with a bold earthy flavor that’s slightly sweet. The tea’s vibrant color comes from turmeric, the golden-hued ground spice that gives curry its signature color.
Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory powerhouse and possesses many health benefits. That’s why it’s a favorite ingredient of mine! And today, I’ve added a healthy pinch of ground black pepper to this recipe which helps your body better absorb the curcumin, the powerful antioxidant found in turmeric (though you can always strain that out if you’d like). This tea is perfect for sipping any time of day, but it’s especially soothing right before bedtime.
Turmeric Tea Ingredients
Turmeric is one of my go-to’s when I’m whipping up healthy beverages like my jamu juice and turmeric smoothie. The flavor of this tea is milder than my jamu juice, making it a satisfying drink that you can enjoy all day long. Here’s what you need to make it:
- Turmeric: I used ground turmeric here since it’s much easier to find and keep in my pantry.
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice lends a bright pop of citrus flavor.
- Honey: I like my tea with a hint of sweetness. If you prefer, you can use maple syrup instead of honey.
- Black Pepper: Just a pinch of black pepper helps your body absorb the curcumin from the turmeric.
Can you use fresh turmeric instead of dried turmeric? Absolutely! Just grate about 1 ½ teaspoons of fresh turmeric root.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below
The Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric is terrific for anyone with autoimmune conditions (like me) due to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Studies have shown that curcumin can help with certain autoimmune conditions by regulating inflammatory signals. Turmeric’s antioxidant ingredients also helps fight chronic inflammation which can diminish your immune system, making this tea a perfect addition to your wellness regimen during cold weather.
If you’re looking to boost brain health, turmeric encourages the growth of new neurons and may decrease cognitive decline. It may also slow down heart disease and aging (and who doesn’t love that?).
How to Make Turmeric Tea
If you can boil water, you can make turmeric tea! Just a few simple steps and you’ll be sipping to good health.
- Add the water, turmeric, lemon juice, honey, and black pepper to a small pot, then whisk together.
- Heat on high just until the tea starts to boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let the tea cool for a minute or two. Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy.
Turmeric Tea Recipe Video
Want to see how easy it is to make this tea? Watch the video below!
How to Customize Your Tea
Once you’ve made your basic turmeric tea, have a little fun with the recipe!
- Add a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg or ground cloves for a toasty spice flavor.
- Make this a more robust tea by adding a bag of chamomile tea or green tea to the pot while it simmers.
- Try swapping the lemon juice for freshly squeezed orange juice.
More Healthy Drink Recipes
When it comes to healthy drinks I’ve got plenty of options for you. Give some of these other recipes a try!
Easy Turmeric Tea
A simple blend of turmeric, lemon juice, honey, and black pepper. This antioxidant powerhouse will give you an immunity boost any time of the year. Watch how I make it in the video above!
Calories: 27kcal, Carbohydrates: 7g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 13mg, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin C: 6mg, Calcium: 7mg, Iron: 1mg
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Recipe originally published September 2020, but updated to include new information.