If you’re still deciding on the perfect side dishes for Thanksgiving dinner, Kamala Harris is here to help. Ahead of the holiday on Nov. 24, the vice president-elect shared one of her family’s “favorite Thanksgiving recipes,” her cornbread dressing, on Instagram and Twitter. “During difficult times I have always turned to cooking . . . I hope whenever you’re able to make it in life, it brings you as much warmth as it has brought me — even when separated from those I love,” she wrote alongside the simple five-step recipe.
Kamala’s recipe comes as her popular turkey tips video has resurfaced on social media, inspiring people on TikTok to cook their Thanksgiving meals like a vice president. But if you’re like me, you know the sides are the real stars of Thanksgiving dinner, so consider making her signature cornbread stuffing to complement your main entrée. Check out Kamala’s post above for a step-by-step tutorial (complete with photos) and follow along with the recipe ahead.
- 2 (8-ounce) packages of cornbread mix
1 pound spicy pork sausage
2 onions, chopped
2 apples, cored and chopped
4 celery stalks, diced
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bake your cornbread according to the instructions on the package. This can be done the day before. Once it’s cooled, crumble it.
- Take the sausage out of its casing, crumble it, and brown it in a little oil. When it’s cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- Sauté the vegetables and apples in the remaining oil in the same pan.
- Mix that with the sausage, cornbread crumbs, melted butter, herbs, and chicken broth.
- Put the mixture in a baking dish and bake at 375°F for about 40 minutes. Enjoy!
- Side Dishes, Stuffing/dressing
- North American