This nutritional bowl has a hearty base of tender brown rice, topped with a satisfying mix of sauteed mushrooms, quickly blanched Asian greens and a few slices of pickled vegetables. It all comes together when drizzled with protein-packed creamy lemon tahini sauce.
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 pound Asian greens (Chinese broccoli, choy sum, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic, divided
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 cup pickled vegetables (dill pickles, pickled onions, pickled ginger, beets)
- Ground pepper
1. In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine rice, 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Stir once, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 50 minutes. (Do not lift the lid or stir!) Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork to serve.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add Chinese greens and cook for 2 minutes. Drain, set aside.
3. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms. Allow to brown on one side before flipping them over, just before they finish cooking, add soy sauce and 1 teaspoon garlic. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Drizzle with sesame oil.