World Vegetarian Day is observed annually Oct. 1 to spread awareness about the benefits of vegetarianism. This day was founded in 1977 by the North American Vegetarian Society and was endorsed by the International Vegetarian Union in 1978.
Celebrate this day by informing people about the health benefits of a vegetarian diet and by encouraging them to save animals’ lives.
1. “Animals are my friends…and I don’t eat my friends.” ― George Bernard Shaw
2. “A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral.”
― Leo Tolstoy
3. “If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.” ― Paul McCartney
4. “I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.” ― Leonardo da Vinci
5. “By eating meat we share the responsibility of climate change, the destruction of our forests, and the poisoning of our air and water. The simple act of becoming a vegetarian will make a difference in the health of our planet.” ― Thich Nhat Hanh
6. “People often say that humans have always eaten animals, as if this is a justification for continuing the practice. According to this logic, we should not try to prevent people from murdering other people, since this has also been done since the earliest of times.” ― Isaac Bashevis Singer
7. “Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight.” ― Albert Schweitzer
8. “You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
9. “The beef industry has contributed to more American deaths than all the wars of this century, all natural disasters, and all automobile accidents combined. If beef is your idea of “real food for real people” you’d better live real close to a real good hospital.” ― Neal Barnard
10. “Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.” ― Jim Davis